Tuesday, September 29, 2009

BB: Virgin Mango Banana Daquiris


This was a featured recipe of Barefoot Bloggers way back in August just as I was beginning with the group, and when I saw it, I knew that I would make it before mango season was over.


Mango Banana Daiquiris


Source: Ina Garten, Back to Basics on page 47
Chosen by Veronica of Supermarket Serenade
Serves 4

Preface:

I didn't use any rum in our drinks.
I used some fresh mint from the garden as garnish

Ingredients:

2 cups chopped ripe mango (1 to 2 mangos, peeled and seeded)
1 ripe banana, chopped
1/2 cup fresh squeezed lime juice (4 limes)
1/4 cup sugar syrup* (I used 2-3 tablespoons of agave nectar)
1 1/4 cups dark rum, such as Mount Gay

Mango slices, for serving

Instructions:

Place the mango, banana, lime juice, sugar syrup, and rum in a blender and process until smooth. Add 2 cups of ice and process again until smooth and thick. Serve ice-cold in highball glasses with the mango slices.

*To make simple syrup, heat 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water in a small saucepan until the sugar dissolves. Chill.Type rest of the post here

Verdict:

Incredibly refreshing! Delicious mango flavor built upon the distinctive sweetness of banana. The big surprise was the subtle minty aroma and top note ... I would definitely keep the mint garnish when making it again, which, given the abundance of cheap mangos in season, I undoubtedly will. (I bet it would have been excellent with the rum!)


0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home